The October issue of Cooking Light featured the 2013 Taste Test Awards, comprised of 41 different foods in 20 categories. The focus was on fast, convenient foods, which is perfect for my busy family. Some of the categories were really specific (like Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil and Boxed Chardonnay), but I was happy to see that some of my favorites made the cut.
I especially appreciated the fact that not every category winner was some obscure, expensive brand. I noticed that several of the winners were the Walmart Great Value and Target Market Pantry brands- both accessible and affordable.
Reading through Cooking Light’s categories and winners made me realize that there are a few categories/items that would be sure to make any list I might come up with. So, for what it’s worth, here are my additions:
1. Best Dry Spaghetti: De Cecco
2. Best Sweet Pantry Snack: Quaker Popped Snacks in Apple Cinnamon
3. Best Greek Yogurt: (Tie) Chobani and Dannon Oikos
4. Best Low-Fat Ice Cream: Edy’s Slow Churned
5. Best Hummus/Baba Ganoush: Sabra
6. Best Fat-Free Sour Cream: Breakstone
7. Best Chewy Granola Bars: Fiber One Oats & Chocolate
8. Best Boxed Mac & Cheese: Annie’s Deluxe Whole Wheat Shells & Extra Cheesy Cheddar
9. Best Jarred Salsa: Santa Barbara Mango with Peach from Costco
10. Best Barbecue Sauce: Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Barbecue Sauce
What items would make your taste test list?