Happy 2013! It’s a new year, which means I’ll be making collard greens tonight, lamenting tomorrow’s return to work, and setting my annual resolutions.
Most New Year’s resolutions don’t survive to see Valentine’s Day, and at least one of those every year is mine. Yet here I am, thinking about what improvements I want to make for 2013. I can’t help it, I am a sucker for the optimism and hope that makes us all want to be better this year than we were last year.
My resolutions are usually along the lines of everyone else’s: lose weight, do a better job balancing work and family, lighten up, etc., etc. Vague and, therefore, unrealistic. So this year, I’m taking a different approach. I thrive on lists (just ask my coworkers, my notebook is NUTS), so instead of lofty unspecific resolutions, I’ve decided to make a 2013 to-do list.
- Be able to run 5K without stopping (pathetic, I know, but I am a HORRIBLE runner)
- Launch a new blog design (Mom Machine is getting a face lift!)
- Take a long weekend trip with my husband, just the two of us
- Keep up with Pilates at least once a week, in class or alone doesn’t matter, as long as I do it
- Spend an entire day saying “yes” to Olivia—cookies for dinner, four books for bedtime, an extra slide or six at the playground, whatever she wants
- Take a day off to go on a day date with my husband while Olivia is at daycare
- Pluck up the nerve to go make friends with my mommy neighbors (who knew it would be so hard to make friends in your 30s?!)
- Go an entire week without losing my cool and snapping at someone. . .or at least give it the old college try, ha!
- Create a Will (waaaaaay overdue considering we have a little person depending on us)
- When Olivia asks me to play with her, do it—doesn’t have to be every single time, but at least twice a week
Are you setting any New Year’s resolutions or creating your own to-do list this year? Share your resolutions if you’re up for it!