My sister-in-law is due with her first baby in February, and shopping for her baby shower brings back so many memories of when I had little O. That first month after she was born is kind of a happy blur at this point. I was floating around the house on a cloud, or maybe that’s just what it seemed like since I was walking around like a cowboy off a three-day ride and my boobs were so huge I thought I might float away.
Anyway, I don’t know how I would have gotten through those first weeks if it hadn’t been for my friend Dori. She had just had a baby 7 weeks prior and she brought me into the fold, so to speak, with all of her been there, done that mommy info. So I’ve decided to do the same for my sister-in-law by putting together some new mama must-haves for her. . . because mama deserves some love after all her hard work!
1. Happiest Baby on the Block DVD G-E-N-I-U-S. I will be the first to admit that I was skeptical any of this stuff would actually work. But my husband paid very close attention when we watched that DVD before the baby was born, and within hours of her birth, he was a shushing, swinging, swaddling expert—and I could rest.
2. Moby Wrap The best thing I can say about the Moby Wrap is that you get your hands back. And THAT is priceless. Plus, it’s a lot more comfortable to wear around the house than the Baby Bjorn.
3. Soothies by Lansinoh Breastfeeding mamas should definitely have a set or two of these little miracles on hand for some soothing relief.
4. Boppy In the beginning, breastfeeding can be tricky, and you’ll probably need more than just your two hands to help you position the baby. My Boppy was a lifesaver and made the entire experience so much easier for me.
5. Kindle Perfect for some late night reading— and the screen isn’t so bright that it will disturb baby.
6. Earth Mama Angel Baby New Mama Bottom Spray If you haven’t had your baby yet, you probably don’t want to hear all the gory details. Just do yourself a favor and get some of this.
7. Erase Paste This concealer will help mask even the darkest undereye circles. And yes, you will have them.
8. BellaBand I probably wore this more AFTER I had my baby than I did in the beginning of my pregnancy. Not only did it allow me to get back into my pre-pregnancy jeans sooner (which is a HUGE morale boost), but the elastic helped flatten my tummy as well.
9. NUK Warm or Cool Breast Relief Packs Whether or not you are breastfeeding, these are great to have around that first week or so to help with the discomfort and swelling as your milk comes in. And if you’re “lucky” like me, you’ll be able to use them to relieve plugged ducts and all other manner of fun things.
10. Stila Convertible Color in Petunia This lipstick/blush all-in-one is super sheer and easy to put on and it can make you look and feel like a human being again in 10 seconds flat.
What are your favorite new mama essentials?