We usually eat vegetarian a few nights a week, so I’m always on the lookout for recipes that are outside of the usual salad/pasta/quinoa rotation. I saw this recipe for vegetarian stuffed peppers and decided to try my own spin on it.
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
2 green peppers
2 red peppers
2 yellow peppers
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 small onion, chopped
2 small tomatoes, diced
2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup goat cheese crumbles
1 clove minced garlic
1. Preheat oven to 400°, and lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the halved and seeded peppers cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
3. While the peppers roast, heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
4. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and spinach and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
5. In a large bowl, mix together the rice, vegetables, goat cheese, salt, and pepper.
6. After the peppers are done roasting, flip them over and fill each half with the rice and vegetable mixture.
7. Return the peppers to the oven and roast for another 5 minutes.